- 200g plain flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 300ml milk
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- butter, maple syrup and fruit to serve (optional)
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, and add the baking powder, sugar and ½ tsp of salt. Whisk the egg and milk together in a jug, then pour into the bowl and whisk for a few minutes until you make a smooth thick batter.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a hot plate or large frying pan, and spread using a piece of kitchen paper. Heat the pan over a medium heat, and once hot, drop 2 tbsp of the batter into the pan to make small pancakes. You will be able to make about 4-5 at a time.
- Cook the pancakes for 2-3 mins until the edges are set, and bubbles rise from the middle. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter, keeping the cooked ones warm in a low oven, if you like. Add another drizzle of oil to the pan when needed.
- Top the pancakes with a little butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, alongside some seasonal fruit, if you like.